Since the bike wasn’t running and I had a little bit of downtime, I decided to remove the whole air box mess from the bike. I’m going for a vintage look, so the less plastic and extra nonsense that I have on the bike the better, but it doesn’t hurt to make it it little easier for the engine to get air. Turns out there were a ton of tubes, a carbon canister, some little random junction box and a whole mess of little annoying things that were attached to the air box and routing in and out of the carburetor. I tore it all out. It looks so much nicer now.
I started thinking that maybe all of that junk played some part in making the bike run crappy, so I hooked the battery back up, sprayed some started fluid in and vroom. Started right up, idled for a bit, sounded great and then of course died again. I noticed that I had forgot to connect one of the spark plug wires. But, by the time I tried again, the battery was completely dead. Threw the battery on the charger last night to give it a full charge, made sure the plugs were tight and the wires were connected, then started it up today and vroom vroom again. She smoked for a while, a little blue, a little black, but after about 10 minutes she was running great.
I’ll be picking up a velocity stack tomorrow and doing a little bit of modifying to a K&N filter I have so that the stack has a filter on it and I should take the bike for a nice cruise this weekend. I’ll let you know.
Oh, I also will be picking up the tiny white-faced speedometer I ordered and hopefully next week my drag bars, 1” risers and rear blinkers should arrive. So, next, next weekend I’ll have some stuff to do.